In order to invite guests to an Event, you will need Groups. Groups are guest lists and rosters that are made up of individual People. Creating Groups is similar to creating Events and Activities, but you have a few more options on how to proceed including: creating from scratch, copying, segmenting, uploading a .CSV file, and pasting data from clipboard.
To use Assign, you will need Sections. Sections are sets of Places with spots into which you can assign People. Creating Sections is similar to creating Events and Activities, but you have a few more options on how to proceed including: creating from scratch, copying, segmenting, uploading a .CSV file, and pasting data from clipboard.
Creating a New Group or Section
To create a new Group or Section, first navigate to the Groups List page using the "Groups" nav bar button or Sections List page with the "Sections" button respectively. Next press the “New Group” or "New Section" button in the top right-hand corner of the page. You will now have several options of how to create your Group or Section :
- Create from Scratch: allows the user to start building a Group or Section with no data or Fields defined.
- Segment an Existing Group / Section: enables the user to create a Subgroup or Subsection using Rules and filters.
- Copy an Existing Group / Section: this method allows the user to build their new Group or Section by making a copy of an existing one within the account.
- Upload a CSV File: allows the user to import data from a spreadsheet that is saved in the .CSV format.
- Paste from Clipboard: this method allows the user to copy tabular data from a spreadsheet like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
Create from Scratch
If you opt to create a completely new Group or Section, simply select “Create from Scratch.” Next enter the Group / Section Name and hit “Create.” You will now be directed to the Summary tab. From here you can edit various details, including the name for the items within the Group / Section. By default, Groups use the term "People" for the items in the data table. Sections use the term "Places". You may also edit the Group / Section Name and enter a description here.
Copy an Existing Group or Section
To copy, simply select "Copy an Existing Group / Section" when creating your new list. Next specify which original Group or Section you will copy and enter a new name. Please note that you may also copy Subgroups and Subsections, but the Main Group or Main Section will remain the same for the resulting list.
Upload a CSV File
Uploading a file allows you to use existing data saved as a .csv (comma separated value) spreadsheet. The "CSV" stands for "Comma Separated Value". You can save and create .csv files from several other applications such as Microsoft Excel and Google Docs. This allows you to use existing rosters or data sets in Eventene without needing to reenter any data. Note that Eventene assumes that the default separator character in a CSV file is a comma (",").
To upload a .csv file, first select “Upload a CSV File” from the creation menu. Then give the new Group / Section a name. After this, you will select from a few options for the upload. You will need to choose the .csv separator to use, select whether your file contains a header row, and finally locate the file on your computer. After you have done this you will be prompted to match the data fields within your uploaded file to the default Eventene data fields.
Paste from Clipboard
Pasting from the Clipboard is much like creating a Group or Section from scratch, but, after entering the name, you will see an input box where you can paste data from the Clipboard. Note that Eventene assumes that the default separator character in Clipboard data is a Tab.
After you have pasted data into the box and clicked “Continue”, you will move to a new page where you will need to verify the pasted data. Finally, you will be asked to match your data fields to the default Eventene data fields.
Segment an Group or Section
You can create Subgroups and Subsections using various Rules and Rule Sets. This option allows you to have multiple different sets of items without needing to update data across numerous Groups or Sections since all of the Subgroups and Subsections will refer to the Main Group or Main Section.
To create a Subgroup / Subsection, simply select "Segment an Existing Group" or "Segment an Existing Section" from the Create New Group / Section menus respectively. Next, select the Group or Section you wish to segment and enter a new name.
Changing the Layout
Regardless of what creation method you choose, you will eventually land on the Summary tab for your new Group / Section. From here you may proceed to add items via the People or Places tabs respectively. Please note that changing the name of these items on the Summary tab will also change the name of the tab within the Group / Section. Finally, clicking the Layout tab will allow you to rearrange columns and add new Fields.
Eventene adds default fields to new Groups and Sections. For Groups, you will see First Name, Last Name, Full Name, and Email. For Sections, the defaults are Place Name and Spots. These default Fields allow you to quickly apply the Group to an Event.
Adding Custom Fields
Field Sets are simply groupings of Fields. By default, you will see the default Fields and Custom Fields. You may add new Field Sets using the "New Field Set" button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
To add a new Field, navigate to the Layout tab and click the "New Field" button within any Field Set. From here you can select the type of field you wish to create and give the new field a name. The available field types are:
- Text - Single text line input box
- Multiple Choice - Multiple choices with multiple possible responses
- Only one choice - multiple options, but only one selection is possible
- One or more choices - multiple options and multiple selections are possible
- One or more choices in rank order – multiple choices, but the top choices are ranked. Organizer can specify how many choices are ranked (min 1, max 10)
- Yes/No - Contains either a "Yes" or "No" value
- True/False -Contains either a "True" or "False" value
- Number – Number input required. Organizer can specify additional constraints on the number. Whole Number fields may be used to create spots for Assign.
- Decimal – any number: positive, negative, fractional value (0.1, -2, 1/2, etc.)
- Whole – any whole number (1, 2, 3, etc.)
- Comment - multi-line text input box
- Phone – Contains a valid phone number, either as a 10-digit number "(XXX) XXX XXXX" or international format "+XX (XXX) XXXXXXX"
- Email – Must contain a valid email address format, e.g. “____@______.___”
- Address – Address is a multi‐field record, which includes street1, street2, city/town, state/province, zip/postal code, and country.
- Date & Time – Organizer can specify the date format as either MM/DD/YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY, and hh:mm AM/PM).
You may also control the privacy settings for Custom Fields. By default, all new Custom Fields are Private (as noted by the lock icon). This means that they are not visible to Event participants via the mobile app or webforms. However, you can make any Custom Field Public by selecting "Make Public" from the Actions menu next to the Custom Field. You can also set Public Custom Fields to Private via the same Action menu.
If you want to change all of the Fields within a Field Set to Public or Private, simply select the desired privacy setting from the Field Set Action menu.
Editing Group / Section Data
The last step in creating a Group or Section is entering data for People or Places. To begin entering data, go to the People or Places tab (respective to the kind of list). If you have copied an existing Group or Section, uploaded a file, or pasted from the clipboard, you may already see data here. However, if you are starting from scratch, you will need to add items to populate your list.
Adding a New Person or Place
To add People to your Group, simply press “New Person" or "New Place". This will open a side menu where you can input new data into any Fields present within the Group / Section. These Fields will include any active default or user-created Fields that you have added in the Layout tab.
Enter your data and make sure to press the "Create" button.
Additionally, you can sort data by click on the column headers, filter items, and search for specific items using the search bar. Once you have entered all your items using the process above, your Group / Section is complete! You can edit the list at any time, but remember this will affect any Events and Subgroups or Subsections that use the data.