In order to invite guests to an Event or make assignments, you will need Lists. Creating Lists is similar to creating Events and Activities, but you have a few more options on how to proceed including: create from scratch, copy list, segment an existing list, uploading a .CSV file, and pasting data from clipboard.
Creating a New List
To create a new List, first press the “New List” button on the Lists page. You will now have several options of how to create your List:
- Create from Scratch: allows the user to start building a List with no data or fields defined.
- Segment an Existing List: enables the user to create a subset List from an existing Master List using rules and filters.
- Copy an Existing List: this method allows the user to build their new List by making a copy of an existing one within the account.
- Upload a CSV File: allows the user to import data from a spreadsheet that is saved in the .CSV format.
- Paste from Clipboard: this method allows the user to copy tabular data from a spreadsheet like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
Create from Scratch
If you opt to create a completely new List, simply select “Create from Scratch.” Next enter the List Name and select the List Type (People or Places) before hitting “Create.” You will now be directed to the List Summary page. From here you can edit various details, including the alt name for items in the list, the List Name itself, and List Description.
Copy an Existing List
To copy a List, simply select this option from List creation page. Next specify which original List you will copy, enter a name for the new List, and choose the List type. Please note that if the original List is a Segmented List then the new List Type must be the same as the original List.
Upload a CSV File
Uploading a file allows you to use existing data saved as a .csv (comma separated value) spreadsheet. The "CSV" stands for "Comma Separated Value". You can save and create .csv files from several other applications such as Microsoft Excel and Google Docs. This allows you to use existing rosters or data sets in Eventene without needing to reenter any data. Note that Eventene assumes that the default separator character in a CSV file is a comma (",").
To upload a .csv file, first select “Upload a CSV File” from the List creation menu. Then give the new List a name, and select the List Type. After this, you will select from a few options for the upload. You will need to choose the .csv separator to use, select whether your file contains a header row, and finally locate the file on your computer. After you have done this you will be prompted to match the data fields within your uploaded file to the three required data fields in Eventene (“First Name”, “Last Name”, and “Email Address”).
Paste from Clipboard
Pasting from the Clipboard is much like creating a List from scratch, but after entering the List Name and selecting the List Type you will see an input box where you can paste data from the Clipboard. Note that Eventene assumes that the default separator character in Clipboard data is a Tab.
After you have pasted data into the box and clicked “Continue”, you will move to a new page where you will need to verify the pasted data. Finally, you will be asked to match your data fields to the three required Eventene data fields (“First Name”, “Last Name”, and “Email Address”).
Segment an Existing List
You can create a subset of a Master List using various rules and rules sets. This option allows you to have multiple different groupings of items without needing to update data across numerous Lists since all of the Segmented Lists will refer to the Master List.
To create a Segmented List, simply select "Segment an Existing List" from the List creation menu. Next, select the List you wish to segment (create a subset from), enter a List Name for the new List, and select the List Type of the new Segmented List.
Changing the List Layout
Regardless of what List creation method you choose, you will eventually land on the “List Summary” page. From here you may proceed to add items to your List via the Items tab. Clicking the Layout tab will allow you to rearrange columns and add new fields.
First Name, Last Name, Full Name, and Email fields are created by default, but you can also add several types of additional fields. Please note that Places Lists also have additional default fields for Place Name and Spots. This allows you to easily set up Places to use for assignments later in the event building process.
Adding Custom Fields
To add a new field, navigate to the Layout tab and click the "New Field" button. From here you can select the type of field you wish to create and give the new field a name. The available field types are:
- Text - Single text line input box
- Multiple Choice - Multiple choices with multiple possible responses
- Only one choice - multiple options, but only one selection is possible
- One or more choices - multiple options and multiple selections are possible
- One or more choices in rank order – multiple choices with the user selecting their top choices in rank order. User can specify how many choices the recipients can rank (min 1, max 10)
- Yes/No - Lets recipients respond with either "Yes" or "No."
- True/False - Lets recipients response with either "True" or "False."
- Number – Number input required. User can specify additional constraints on the number. The Whole Number field is required in order to use spots for assignments.
- Decimal – any number: positive, negative, fractional value (0.1, -2, 1/2, etc.)
- Whole – any whole number (1, 2, 3, etc.)
- Comment - multi-line text input box
- Phone – Enter a valid phone number, either as a 10-digit number "(XXX) XXX XXXX" or international format "+XX (XXX) XXXXXXX"
- Email – Recipient must enter a valid email address format, e.g. “____@______.___”
- Address – Address is a multi‐field record, which includes street1, street2, city/town, state/province, zip/postal code, and country.
- Date & Time – User can specify the date format as either MM/DD/YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY, and hh:mm AM/PM).
Editing the List Data
The last step in creating a List is entering data. To begin entering data, go to the Items tab within any List. If you have copied an existing list, uploaded a file, or pasted from the Clipboard, you may already see data here. However, if you are starting from scratch, you will need to add items to populate your List.
Adding a New Item
To add items to your List simply press “New Item". This will open a side menu where you can input item data into any fields you have created for the List. These fields will include any active default or user created fields that you have added in the Layout tab.
Enter your data and make sure to press the "Create" button.
Additionally, you can sort data by click on the column headers, filter items, and search for specific items using the search bar. Once you have entered all your items using the process above, your List is complete! You can edit the List at any time, but remember this will affect any Events and Segmented Lists that use the data.