In order to invite guests to an Event, you will need Groups. Groups are guest lists and rosters that are made up of individual People. Creating Groups is similar to creating Events and Activities, but you have a few more options on how to proceed including: creating from scratch, copying, segmenting, uploading a .CSV file, and pasting data from clipboard.
Creating a New Group
To create a new Group, first navigate to the Groups List page using the "Groups" nav bar button. Next press the “New Group” button in the top right-hand corner of the page. You will now have several options of how to create your Group :
- Create from Scratch: allows the user to start building a Group with no data or Fields defined.
- Segment an Existing Group: enables the user to create a Subgroup using Rules and filters.
- Copy an Existing Group: this method allows the user to build their new Group by making a copy of an existing one within the account.
- Upload a CSV File: allows the user to import data from a spreadsheet that is saved in the .CSV format.
- Paste from Clipboard: this method allows the user to copy tabular data from a spreadsheet like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
Create from Scratch
If you opt to create a completely new Group, simply select “Create from Scratch.” Next enter the Group Name and hit “Create.” You will now be directed to the Summary tab. From here you can edit various details, including the name for the items within the Group. By default, Groups use the term "People" for the items in the data table. You may also edit the Group Name and enter a description here.
Copy an Existing Group
To copy, simply select "Copy an Existing Group" when creating your new Group. Next specify which original Group you will copy and enter a new name. Please note that you may also copy Subgroups, but the Main Group will remain the same for the resulting Subgroup.
Upload a CSV File
Uploading a file allows you to use existing data saved as a .csv (comma separated value) spreadsheet. The "CSV" stands for "Comma Separated Value". You can save and create .csv files from several other applications such as Microsoft Excel and Google Docs. This allows you to use existing rosters or data sets in Eventene without needing to reenter any data. Note that Eventene assumes that the default separator character in a CSV file is a comma (",").
To upload a .csv file, first select “Upload a CSV File” from the creation menu. Then give the new Group a name. After this, you will select from a few options for the upload. You will need to choose the .csv separator to use, select whether your file contains a header row, and finally locate the file on your computer. After you have done this you will be prompted to match the data fields within your uploaded file to the default Eventene data fields.
Paste from Clipboard
Pasting from the Clipboard is much like creating a Group from scratch, but, after entering the name, you will see an input box where you can paste data from the Clipboard. Note that Eventene assumes that the default separator character in Clipboard data is a Tab.
After you have pasted data into the box and clicked “Continue”, you will move to a new page where you will need to verify the pasted data. Finally, you will be asked to match your data fields to the default Eventene data fields.
Segment an Group
You can create Subgroups using various Rules and Rule Sets. This option allows you to have multiple different sets of items without needing to update data across numerous Groups since all of the Subgroups will refer to the Main Group.
To create a Subgroup, simply select "Segment an Existing Group" from the Create New Group menu. Next, select the Group you wish to segment and enter a new name.
Changing the Layout
Regardless of what creation method you choose, you will eventually land on the Summary tab for your new Group. From here you may proceed to add items via the People tab. Please note that changing the name of these items on the Summary tab will also change the name of the tab within the Group. Finally, clicking the Layout tab will allow you to rearrange columns and add new Fields.
Eventene adds default fields to new Groups and Sections. For Groups, you will see First Name, Last Name, Full Name, and Email. These default Fields allow you to quickly apply the Group to an Event.
Adding Custom Fields
Field Sets are simply groupings of Fields. By default, you will see the default Fields and Custom Fields. You may add new Field Sets using the "New Field Set" button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
To add a new Field, navigate to the Layout tab and click the "New Field" button within any Field Set. From here you can select the type of field you wish to create and give the new field a name. The available field types are:
- Text - Single text line input box
- Multiple Choice - Multiple choices with multiple possible responses
- Only one choice - multiple options, but only one selection is possible
- One or more choices - multiple options and multiple selections are possible
- One or more choices in rank order – multiple choices, but the top choices are ranked. Organizer can specify how many choices are ranked (min 1, max 10)
- Yes/No - Contains either a "Yes" or "No" value
- True/False -Contains either a "True" or "False" value
- Number – Number input required. Organizer can specify additional constraints on the number. Whole Number fields may be used to create spots for Assign.
- Decimal – any number: positive, negative, fractional value (0.1, -2, 1/2, etc.)
- Whole – any whole number (1, 2, 3, etc.)
- Comment - multi-line text input box
- Phone – Contains a valid phone number, either as a 10-digit number "(XXX) XXX XXXX" or international format "+XX (XXX) XXXXXXX"
- Email – Must contain a valid email address format, e.g. “____@______.___”
- Address – Address is a multi‐field record, which includes street1, street2, city/town, state/province, zip/postal code, and country.
- Date & Time – Organizer can specify the date format as either MM/DD/YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY, and hh:mm AM/PM).
Editing Group Data
The last step in creating a Group is entering data for People. To begin entering data, go to the People tab. If you have copied an existing Group, uploaded a file, or pasted from the clipboard, you may already see People data here. However, if you are starting from scratch, you will need to add items to populate your Group.
Adding a New Person
To add People to your Group, simply press “New Person.". This will open a side menu where you can input New Person data into any Fields present within the Group. These Fields will include any active default or user-created Fields that you have added in the Layout tab.
Enter your data and make sure to press the "Create" button.
Additionally, you can sort data by click on the column headers, filter items, and search for specific items using the search bar. Once you have entered all your items using the process above, your Group is complete! You can edit the Group at any time, but remember this will affect any Events and Subgroups that use the data.